Tuesday, September 16, 2008

the Blog Challenge - Subject "Serenity" (from Mari)

Mari presents... the Blog challenge -

The blog challenge is one word:

Serenity

Take it from there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***NOTE: Ok, just to set the record straight, when I originally read Mari's challenge, I thought of one of my favorite TV shows, "Firefly", and was trying to see how I could parallel something from the show to my life in a comic way. I'm not going to do that, sorry folks***

Interesting choice of topic.
========================================================
Serenity

I just finished Acceptance was the Answer in the "Big Book" and there's a line at the end of the chapter I underlined which says;

"...my serenity is inversely proportional to my expectations. The higher my expectations of (my wife) and other people are, the lower is my serenity. I can watch my serenity level rise when I discard my expectations."

Lately, I've been observing my attachment to the expectations in my life from my past and present. In my lifetime, I've had grand plans, with great expectations of where my life would go. As I've grown up, I've grown cynical, and turned into some sort of scientific thinker who refuses to answer the question, "where do you see yourself in 5, 10, etc. years?"

I don't have a frickin' clue!

Not because I was enlightened, but because I've been disappointed... and because things never turned out like I had planned. And, because I was punishing myself as though these things were in my control.

Letting go, means eliminating expectations entirely. It's a daily practice. I remain present. I hang onto what is now. Just for today, serenity has been achieved.

Standing in the time line of my life now, I seek a state of acceptance. I pray to accept the things I cannot change on a daily basis. So let's see if this formula works....

I accept the things I cannot change.
In a state of acceptance, I dispel my expectations.
By eliminating expectations in my life, I achieve Serenity.

Simple enough...

No comments: